Thursday, December 23, 2010

Ow

So I learned how to snowboard today...

I hurt. All over. I'm also exhausted, and have 5.5hrs left on my shift. Which is actually okay. I slept for a good four hours after I got home (and I napped on the bus on the way back from the mountain...and then fell off the seat when it stopped to let us off), so I'm not exhausted enough to need the Red Bull I bought for the occasion...yet...and I get to sleep tomorrow. All damn day.

My boss, Chris, is the awesomest boss that ever happened, hands down. No really. Not only did he drive me to and from work last night, but he lent me his extra snowboarding helmet and goggles, and stayed with me the entire four hours it took to get down the mountain, helping me up and encouraging me and laughing with me when I accidentally tried to pull his helmet off...twice (because I was using his head to prop me up after the 7891987263456349876163565th time I fell over and then fell over backwards and instinctively grabbed at the first thing I could reach...which was his head), took embarrassing pictures of me learning how to snowboard, and bought me beer halfway down. Plus, he's invited me and Bean over for Ecksmas dinner on Saturday, though we'll have to do it in shifts (on account of us both working the PM that evening). Friday, I'm making pie. I've decided. And I'm going to make him socks. For free. Because he's seriously that awesome.

So yeah. Awesomest boss that ever happened. Especially because he totally understood the way exhaustion + lack of oxygen due to thin atmosphere + booze = daft/giddy/somewhat drunk and mildly indignant me. That takes patience, believe me.

If I hadn't had to work tonight, I would totally have gone out for wings with everyone afterwards, but as it was, I limped home, put on some warm/dry clothes, mumbled at Athena (who had just been to the post office and had come back with my TARDIS Day present - YAY!) for a while, and then passed out for four hours or so. I had a quick shower before work, which was heavenly (hot water is the best gift the gods could ever have given us. I swear.)

But yeah. I had a blast learning how to snowboard, even though it's going to be at least a week before I get the ability to walk properly back. I'm not as stiff as I was expecting, since the basic stance of snowboarding is pretty much the same as the horse-stance we learned in karate all those years ago, and I guess I have some residual muscles from that, since I am actually still able to walk.

So glad I get to sleep tomorrow, though. So very, very glad.

No comments: