Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Budgeting Budgets of Budgetness...And Stuff.

I had a night audit shift tonight, and instead of sleeping prior to it, I spent a couple or three hours fiddling with my budget and making it work.

And I made it work, too. I don't make too much money in a month; certainly not any sort of spectacular wage comes from $10/hour or even the $11/hour I should be getting for night audit shifts, but it's money, and with a little bit of skull sweat and guess work, I found something that should work.

Of course, now that I've done this, along comes monkey wrench #1.

Apparently, the woman training me on night audit for the past couple of days "Doesn't like to hear herself talk", and so, after the audit was done, decided that she'd be magnanimous and let me say that I'd worked for four hours instead of eight. I was scheduled for eight. It's not like they didn't have money in the budget, or else they wouldn't have scheduled me for eight hours.

So I didn't fuss; she was taking time to show me what I would need to do.

Monkey wrench #2 - she did it again. Tonight. Which means, because of her idiocy, she's done me out of $88.

It might just be the hormones talking, but I kinda just want to thump her upside the head with a brick.

My budget still works, though. I have wiggle room, which is nice, and since I don't want for much, it's a fair amount of wiggle room. I'm still going to put it all into a nice spreadsheet, so I can do all formulas and shit, which should be fun...and right there is a prime indication of how much I've changed. Time was, the thought of doing math would have me out the door, and money management happened to other people. Now, with Wales calling me ever homeward, I actually find myself looking forward to making a working budget and then sticking to it.

It's like the happy feeling I got when I paid my phone bill last month.

Even so: $88 is $88. I'm rather pissed that I won't be getting it, even if the loss will be split between two pay cheques.

No comments: