Friday, January 2, 2009

Things I Will Need

Here is a list of what I'm going to need before I go/while I'm there. It's a preliminary list, merely because I haven't gotten my head out of the clouds enough to figure out precisely what I'm going to need...and because I've never gone on a trip that didn't have an end date attached, and so I can't really say what I'm going to need after the first few weeks or so...except more of the same stuff.

So I'm going to use the Heinleinian method of trip preparation, which is to list everything that could possibly ever be useful and then slowly pare it down by scrapping things that are simply too large/heavy/unnecessary to bring.

Any that look like this have been obtained.

  • A bigass backpack
  • Money. Lots and lots of money
  • A knife
  • Camping gear - tent, sleeping-bag, stove, pots, utensils
  • A damn good pair of boots
  • Two weeks worth of clothes - shirts, pants, skirts, socks and undies and bras (three weeks worth of each), sweaters, shorts, pjs
  • A very large book of maps/Google Maps print-outs
  • Darwin
  • RAIN GEAR
  • One of those groundsheet thingies to go over said bigass backpack
  • A rucksack similar to the one I made for Clayton
  • The rucksack I made for Clayton, only finished, so I can give it to him while I'm there
  • The Journal that Chantelle gave me for my birthday
  • Sketch book, pencils, pens, erasers
  • A DAMN GOOD CAMERA with film/memory cards and batteries
  • A UK power converter
  • An iPod or similar device, with which I can listen to music
  • Notebooks in which I can write stories, in case I can't bring a laptop. This is not the same as the journal that Chantelle gave me, because that has a very specific purpose.
  • A laptop, preferably a very light one with a decent amount of memory for picture uploading/writing/internet surfage where possible
  • Somewhere to stay.
  • A ticket home
  • A work visa
  • UK Citizenship

No comments: