Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sleepy...and a tad worried

There is a great deal that I have to do before I go...five months isn't nearly enough time to get it all done.

At some point (preferably very soon) I need to get a job. Tomorrow (technically today) I have to work for Uncle Steve, which is nice, but I would need to work full time at minimum wage to get even half of what I'll need before I go. And most of that will be for stuff that I need while I'm there.

Both Mum and Chantelle figure about $7000 will do it. Which means I've got just over $6000 to make in the next five and a bit months, and I'm currently unemployed. Were I to get a decent paying job tomorrow, I could probably do it. I don't pay rent. I would have to start contributing to the cell phone bill, but I wouldn't have to pay utilities or interwebs or anything like that, and so I would be able to keep most of my monies for other things.

In theory.

What I am most worried about is that the universe will notice me again, and something will happen, and because of that, I won't be able to go. I tell myself that it's unlikely that, out of the six billion or more people on the planet, I would be singled out to be screwed over, but then, I wouldn't be singled out, I would just be screwed over like so many others. Is it wrong to hope and pray that some other poor bastard gets screwed so that my dreams can be fulfilled in some way?

Very probably.

But then, these worries are normal. Money worries...well, they hit everyone. And they're especially pertinent because, as much as I'm sure I'm going to love Cardiff, I don't want to live under any bridge, let alone one in Cardiff.

In other news, I'm making myself a wee travel bag. It's for my journal, I think, the one Chantelle gave me. Or my passport/travel documents. It's got a TARDIS on it, which signifies my desire to journey, to escape, to run away into the unknown. To take that step off into true oblivion and see what's out there. The pioneering spirit.

I'm not sure I have enough of that spirit to be a true pioneer, but I do want to eventually live in Wales, see places I've never been, things I've never dreamt of...journey.

(I'm also, for those of you who don't know, a giant nerd)

Either way, I'm going to line it with waterproof fabric, I think, if I can find some that the texture of which doesn't bother me a great deal. I don't want my journal to get ruined. Or my passport/travel documents, depending on what I decide to keep in there.

No comments: