Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Change of Thought

So...upon further reading, I think the UK Ancestry visa is the way to go for now. I think I was misreading/understanding what the pages were saying about citizenship before...

So, when Mum and Dad and I and whoever else go to Ottawa at the end of the month (there's a decent chance Bean will come too), that's what I'll be asking about first.

Without a visa, I can stay in the UK for a maximum of six months. This might be a good thing, because six months should be enough time to figure out whether or not I want to actually live there and commit to getting my citizenship. Then again, if I still don't have a means of getting home at the end of those six months, how the bloody hell am I going to find a job without a work permit?

Jon's beginning to question how our relationship is going to survive a trans-oceanic long-distance relationship. While I see why he worries, at the same time, Chantelle and Ari have been doing just fine for nearly as long. They're getting married next year. Well, technically later this year, because that's the easiest way to get his Canadian citizenship. But the full, 'official' wedding isn't until next year.

What frightens me is that I'm going anyway. This is something I've needed to do for years. Wanted to do for years. Leap off the proverbial precipice and see if I can actually fly, or if I plummet like a stone. And if that wasn't a lame enough metaphor for you, you'll just have to deal.

No comments: